DNB PEDIATRICS THEORY QUESTION PAPER DECEMBER 2014
• This question paper consists of 10 questions divided into Part 'A' and Part 'B', each part containing 5 questions.
• Answers to questions of Part 'A' and Part 'B' are to be strictly attempted in separate answer sheet(s) and the main + supplementary answer sheet(s) used for each part must be tagged separately.
• Answers to questions of Part 'A' attempted in answer sheet(s) of Part 'B' or vice versa shall not be evaluated.
• Answer sheet(s) of Part 'A' and Part 'B' are not to be tagged together.
• Part 'A and Part B' should be mentioned only on the covering page of the respective answer sheet(s).
• Attempt all questions in order.
• Each question carries 10 marks.
• Read the question carefully and answer to the point neatly and legibly.
• Do not leave any blank pages between two answers.
• Indicate the question number correctly for the answer in the margin space.
• Answer all the parts of a single question together.
• Start the answer to a question on a fresh page or leave adequate space between two answers.
• Draw table/diagrams/flowcharts wherever appropriate.
1. Name the steps of morphogenesis of respiratory system. Enumerate congenital lung malformations. Describe natural course of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation. 3+3+4
2. a) Female infanticide 5
b) Cold chain 5
3. Define osmolarity. Discuss the mechanism of regulation of plasma osmolarity in the human body. 2+8
4. a) Karyotyping 5
b) Child abuse 5
5. Why children are vulnerable to chemical pollutants? What are chemical pollutants in environment and their effects? What are hazards of environmental tobacco smoke in children? 3+4+3
PAPER 1 PART B
6. a) Disease modifying agents used for JIA. 5
b) Biologic anti-TNF agents for JIA. 5
7. Discuss pathophysiology and types of cerebral edema. Write the medical management of raised ICT. 4+6
8. Describe physiological basis of gastroesophageal reflux. Discuss clinical features and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. 3+(2+5)·
9. Define hyperkalemia. Discuss management of hyperkalemia. 2+8
10. a) Define sensitivity,specificity & positive predictive value. 2+2+2
b) Types of error in a research study. 4
PAPER-II PART A
Write short notes on:
1. Etiology & management of persistent pulmonary hypertension. 3+7
2. a) Side effects of phototherapy. 5
b) Issues related to transport of a sick newborn. 5
3. Describe WHO classifications of eye manifestation of vitamin A deficiency. Discuss prevention & management of Vitamin A deficiency in children. 4+6
4. What is Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV)? What are the advantages & disadvantages of IPV over OPV? What is the schedule of IPV as recommended by lAP? 3+5
5 . a) Stem cell therapy. 5
b) Recent advances in the management of thalassemia major. 5
PAPER -II PARTB
6. Enumerate causes for Steroid Resistant Nephrotic Syndrome and discuss its management. 4+6
7. a) Define dyslexia. Briefly discuss its management 5
b) Define 'precocious puberty' in boys Enumerate causes of precocious puberty in boys. 5
8. Enumerate common types of neural tube defects. Discuss prevention and management of neural tube defects. 4+(2+4)
9. a) Classification of childhood leukemias. 5
b) Management of tumour lysis syndrome. 5
10. Types, clinical presentation and management of spinal muscular atrophies. 2+4+4
PAPER –III PART A
Write short notes on:
1. Clinical presentation, investigations and treatment of Multi Drug Resistant TB. 3+2+5
2. Etiology, clinical presentation and management of Stevens Johnson Syndrome. 3+2+5
3. a) Recurrent abdominal pain in children. b) Chronic pancreatitis in children. 5+5
4. a) Management of acute otitis media.
b) Evaluation of obstructive sleep apnoea 5+5
5. Define Fulminant Hepatic Failure. Discuss factors precipitating hepatic encephalopathy and management of hepatic encephalopathy. 2+(3+5)
PAPER –III PART B
6. Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnostic criteria of autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome. 4+3+3
7. What is Rapid Sequence Intubation (RSI)? Outline the steps involved. Discuss the indications and advantages of RSI. 2+5+3
8. Pathophysiology, clinical presentation and management of carbon monoxide poisoning. 3+3+4
9. Diagnostic work up of a child with cystic fibrosis (CF). Describe management of a child with CF. 4+6
10. Etiology and management of cardiogenic shock 3+7