OSCE Pediatrics - Previous Year Questions
This is a list of some of the Pediatric OSCE stations from previous DNB exam based on my recall. Even though they might not get repeated as it is, often they are framed similarly. Knowing the pattern of your question is an important step forward for clearing DNB exam.
The post will guide you to OSCE pattern and types of various OSCE stations asked in DNB practical exams.
Once you finish you can move to the second set of Practise OSCE stations here OSCE practise statiom -Set II
If you are a beginner and would like to know DNB practical exam pattern, here is an OSCE orientation
Observed OSCE station as the name suggests involves objective assessment via direct observation of actions of the student. Let us start with stations I remember.
If you would like to know more about observed station, here is the link
OSCE station on Communication and Counselings
A Newborn has TSH >100 on screening. Counsel the mother for the scenario.
A 5 yrs male child has history of late-night awakening and sleep-related issues, Counsel the mother.
A 2 yr old male, with Pneumonia, requires ventilation and PICU admission, Counsel the mother.
OSCE station on History taking
A 12 yr old young boy is complaining of chest pain. Obtain relevant history.
You can find a collection of various posts on history taking here.
Clinical examination OSCE
A 8 yr old boy as a dummy patient. Perform inspection, palpation, and percussion of the respiratory system.
You can know more about focused clinical examination for Pediatric OSCE here.
OSCE on Neonatal Resuscitation
NRP scenario about a baby born with meconium-stained liquor, who did not cry at birth is given. Asked to perform resuscitation as per guidelines.
Moving on to Unobserved OSCE stations.
OSCE Video stations
A video of a neonate with a meningococcal rash all over body was shown on screen. Following questions are asked.
- What is the finding?
- What is a possible diagnosis?
- What endocrine emergency can precipitate with the baby?
- What are possible neurological complications?
4 short videos clips were shown. We have to Identify the physical finding and write example for each.
- Respiratory distress with paradoxical breathing
- Acidotic breathing
- Respiratory distress with grunting
- Respiratory distress with stridor.
An Infant with severe dehydration and acidotic breathing is shown and the following questions were asked.
- Enlist 3 findings?
- What can be the cause?
- Enlist 3 other conditions which can lead to similar clinical sign?
- What should be the fluids of choice for initial resuscitation of this child?
ECG OSCE station
ECG trace of ventricular tachycardia is shown. Additional history of consumption of unknown tablets is mentioned. HR is 120/min, Random blood sugars is 100mg/dl and Blood pressure was 90/60 mmHg. Mydriasis is present. Following quested asked.
- What can be the possible poison?
- What is the drug of choice?
A Child with pneumonia in PICU on ventilator was given. The staff nurse gave an urgent call in view of this ECG. (It is a asystole scenario). Following questions were asked
- Identify rhythm?
- Enumerate 6 causes of cardiac arrest?
Here is a detailed post on basics of ECG - physiology and mechanics
OSCE station on Dentistry
The following questions were asked
- Define delayed dentition
- Causes of delayed dentition?
- Causes of early exfoliation?
- Eruption schedule of secondary molars?
OSCE stations on Vaccinology and immunology
IPV polio vaccine is given with the following questions
- What is a switch date?
- Date of recognition?
- Dose and site of intra-dermal injections?
- 2 states in India giving intra-dermal polio vaccine?
- How long opened vial of IPV can be stored?
This was based on AEFI. Different scenarios were given and question was to classify the scenarios into AEFI categories.
OSCE stations based on statistics
- Different types of studies (methodology) used in different research scenario were asked.
- Examples of stratified sampling method were asked.
More on Medical Statistics here.
OSCE stations based on Infectious diseases
Classify given Cephalosporins into 1 st /2nd/ 3rd/ 4th/ 5th generation. Total 10 cephalosporins were given.
More posts on OSCE infectious diseases.
EEG OSCE station
Following 4 different EEG traces were given. Question was to match the pair with the following diagnosis.
- Centrotemporal spikes
- Myoclonic seizure
- Periodic discharge,
- Diffuse cerebral epileptiform discharge.
OSCE based on investigations and labs
Write diagnosis for given lab finding in tables, the conditions were hypoglycemia, ketosis, hyperglycemia like non-ketotic GHD and fasting GSD.
A 11 yrs old girl with initial non-specific symptoms of behavioural abnormality, develops fever followed by status epilepticus. CSF findings are - 100 lymphocytes. Genexpert for tuberculosis is negative. USG abdominal showed a mass in Rt. Ovary. MRI brain showed non-specific changes in cortical and subcortical areas. Following questions were asked.
- What is the diagnosis?
- What should be the further work up?
- What is the investigation of choice?
A 15 yr old female with SMR stage 1 with findings of high LH, FSH, 17-OHP, low estrogen was given.
- What is the diagnosis?
- What further investigation should be planned?
- What can be the possible treatment?
The station involved filling in the gaps in table. With Increased/decreased variable in table of Hypocalcemia. Columns and rows were given as follows and we had to mark increase or decrease lab parameter with arrow for the specific disorder.
|Calcium||Ionic calcium||Phosphate||PTH||Vit D|
|Type 2 Vit D dependent rickets|
OSCE questions based on lab investigations.
OSCE on Fetal medicine and lactation
- Match the maternal drug intake with side effects on fetus. Total 8 drugs were given.
- Classify drugs given to lactating mother in these categories as Safe/caution/Avoid.
Toxicology OSCE stations
A child with accidental over consumption of thyroxin tablets is given. Following questions are asked.
- Initial decontamination?
- What is the antidote?
- How early and how late signs can develop?
Chest X-ray of Full term neonate requiring multiple surfactant administrations with no signs of improvement. The scenario is that of Neonatal alveolar hypoproteinosis. The following question are asked.
- What is the diagnosis?
- Investigation to confirm?
- What is the Treatment?
X-ray chest of a neonate with TOF was given. Following questions are asked.
B. Antenatal USG findings?
Here you can find OSCE questions on X-ray, CT, MRI, and more.
OSCE stations in Hematology
A slide of Peripheral smear is shown as a picture asking to identify the cell shown which was marked with an arrow. The cell was an acanthocyte.
OSCE questions in Hematology here
OSCE Clinical scenarios
A scenario 5 years female with FTT, recurrent pneumonia and fouls smelling frothy stool is given. Serum lipids are low. Nasal potential difference is normal, celiac screening was negative. The scenario is of that of Abetalipoproteinemia. Following questions are asked.
- What is the diagnosis?
- What is the pathology and mechanism?
- Give differentials
- What is the treatment?
OSCE Picture diagnosis
A picture of a newborn with microcephaly is shown. Following questions are asked.
- Recent viral infection that can cause this?
- What is the family of virus that can cause the condition?
- Transmission in adults and children?
- Symptoms other than fever?
- What are other neurological complications?
These questions are based on recall and likely to have errors, please submit corrections using the comments below or use contact form. If you have a collection of OSCE's from the previous year, do share with others using upload, alternatively email us at email@example.com.
- OSCE in Pediatrics - Questions from December 2016 DNB exam
- All posts on OSCE
- OSCE stations in Respiratory and GIT
Kishor L Giri | DNB Pediatric
Kishor completed his Pediatric residency at Jehangir Hospital, Pune and currently working as Pediatricican in Navi Mumbai. Majority of his articles focus on clinical aspects and tips for the exams.